Friday, June 12, 2009

So I just finished reading Clean Code by Uncle Bob

This must have been the most enlightening book I’ve ever read. It’s filled with “evident” knowledge. Of course, some of them you have never thought about… but some that you just can’t avoid nodding in approval.

As everyone know, I’m a .NET Developer and Uncle Bob is a Java developer (not exactly but the book have code in Java). There is some recommendation in the books that are targeted at Java developer and that don’t apply to .NET.

So? If I had to tell what the book is about, what should I say?

I would say:

  • Humans are good at mixing abstraction level
  • Keep the variable/class/function clear and concise
  • Commenting must be done with care otherwise it just clutter the code
  • Refactor, refactor, refactor. A code base is never perfect but if you follow the Boy scout rule, the code base will always be better in the end
  • Code should always have test and high coverage

Am I hitting the bulls eye here? What do you think?

Submit this story to DotNetKicks

3 comments:

  1. I too, read this book and finished earlier this year. I think it's a book that any developer that is serious about improving their craft MUST have on their bookshelf.
    There was lots of good advice in the book, and you mentioned quite a few of the good tips. I'd also like to mention that if you really take the time to study the code, and really try to understand his refactorings, you come away with a lot more than if you just passively read it and think you have no room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is possible to get a perfect code base that cannot be refactored further, however, possibly not in your favourite programming language. We need to move on from these shackles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am half way through the book actually, so far that does seem to be the advice given

    ReplyDelete

Please try to keep comments relevant to the topic. All comments after 1 month will be moderated.